Prefix Owners Process
Process for Authenticating Prefix Owners
Prefix owners that intend to sell numbers from their prefix through any means may get these numbers authenticated as legitimately transferable numbers and cause the buyer to have an authenticated U.P.C. number by this process:
- Registrants are asked their Prefix number, information about when and to who it was issued, contact information, information about the organizational name(s) selling numbers out of the prefix being registered and full contact information such as location, telephone and fax numbers, web sites and e-mail addresses.
- The registrant pays a $25.00 fee unless he has been designated a Charter Member.
- The registrant must then submit copies of the original documentation from the Issuing Organization (e.g. UCC, GS1) showing the original release of the prefix to the Authentication U.P.C. Registration Directory by one of several means: by attaching and electronic pdf or image file to an e-mail or mailing the information to our PO Box
- The Prefix registrant enters all U.P.C numbers that have been sold by the registrant. They should include those that numbers that are assigned to their own products, if any. Numbers may be uploaded from standard cvs (comma separated variables) file or entered one at a time.
- The first 25 full U.P.C. numbers entered from the Prefix being registered are accepted at no charge to the Prefix owner or to the U.P.C. Number Owner who purchased it. Additional full U.P.C. numbers from the Prefix being registered are entered at this time without charge. These numbers beyond the first 25 will become authenticated and publicly visible only after the Prefix has been authenticated and either the Prefix owner pays $2.00 per U.P.C. number or $4.99 is paid by the U.P.C. number owner. Upon payment and authentication of the Prefix being registered, the U.P.C. number will be recognized as authenticated.
- Upon completion of the prefix authentication process, the prefix owner may add sales of U.P.C. numbers to the site. Any registrations of a U.P.C. number from within the Prefix by others will be reported by this site to the Prefix owner.